You’re here because you love writing and need a nudge—okay, a big push—in the right direction to finish that personal essay, outline your book idea or self-publish a memoir. My FREE 5-day email course teaches you how to stop procrastinating, avoid newbie writing mistakes and get out of your way.
You don’t have a short story, poem, essay, or journal entry that you emailed to your bestie for feedback.
You haven’t experienced a life-changing event and want to use your story to empower others and help them avoid making the same mistakes you made.
Don’t think you need an editor or professional polish before your publish your “baby.”
You decided it’s time to tell your stories.
You’re serious about from graduating an idea that’s scribbled in a notebook to final product.
You fought and lost the battle with procrastination but are so ready to win the war—Game of Thrones style.
You don’t have an extra 12 hours in the day to write.
You don’t have a clue how to get started.
Don’t worry. I got you.
I’m passionate about coaching newbie writers and aspiring authors to go from concept to published product. This is the spot for tips, motivation, products and services. #yeahwrite
I thought you’d never ask! I’m Taiia Smart Young, but my friends call me T. Long story short: When I was a kid, I told my mother that I was going to be a writer. Fast forward: Here I am, a writer, editor, speaker, author and writing coach. I’ve held senior and executive editor positions at Essence, XXL, Latina and co-founded Juicy, the first celeb, style and beauty magazine with my soul friend. In 2015, I wrote and self-published the award-winning book Famous! How to Be the Star of Your Show: A Teen Girl’s Guide to Embracing Her Fabulous Self. The hardest part of that journey wasn’t marketing and publishing Famous! Nope. My biggest challenge was sticking to a daily writing schedule and committing to writing a 1,000 to 2,000 words per day without distractions. But I did it. (The whole distraction thing is huge for me. I tend to fall down the rabbit hole like your girl Alice in Wonderland at least once a day.) I’m proof that it can be done. You can eliminate distractions. You can kick procrastination in the butt. You can create a story that’s all kinds of awesome. Allow me to be your coach and teach you how to do it too.
5. My first crush? Seeing my byline in my high school newspaper. (My first love? A regional teen magazine that paid me $20 to write a story. Cha-ching!)
4. My mobile service dropped THREE TIMES during a phone interview with Taraji P. Henson, and she was soooo cool about it. (Not that I expected her to turn into Cookie or anything, but three times, c’mon, I looked all kinds of crazy!)
3. My teen son, a.k.a. The No. 1 Son, is a fellow creative (he’s an artist) who keeps it 100 with me about my writing, fonts, image choices, vocabulary and everything else. When we disagree his fave line is: “Ma, I go to an art school. I know what I’m talking about.”
2. I didn’t believe my book Famous! How to Be the Star of Your Show was going to win the NAACP’s Just Read Award, so I didn’t prepare a speech. Yeah, I will never do that again. EVER. I mean, said something good, but it could’ve been better.
1. I’m addicted to stories and storytelling in all formats—documentaries, memoirs, TV shows, song lyrics, etc. (Confession: I drop movie lines into everyday conversation. It’s a gift. I know.)